Oracle CloudWorld is always a great event to hear what's coming next at Oracle. Larry Ellison talked a lot about Open Multi-Cloud, Cloud connections with Microsoft, and Oracle's best industry applications including Health Care. But, hearing about the new Beta Program for 23c as well as some of the New 23c Features from Andy Mendelsohn & Jenny Tsai-Smith was certainly the highlight for me at CloudWorld. At the end of this article, I'll have the QR code for you to sign up for the Beta Program if you'd like, but first, let's look at some great features that are worth exploring in the next long-term release after 19c.
Some of the Best Features I heard at CloudWorld include (as these are Beta; they may or may not be in the final product that is released - refer to Oracle Safe Harbor statement):
- True Cache: Provides in-memory, high-performance cache that's consistent with the Database. This gives you App Tier Cache, Edge Cache, Regional or Multi-Cloud Cache for outstanding application speed no matter where the query is performed.
- Priority Transactions: How many times do overnight processes fail because someone locked a table or row that the process needed? With Priority Transactions, you can now make High Priority transactions while you automatically abort Low Priorities.
- Auto SQL Repair: With Real-Time SQL Plan Management, when a SQL error occurs, Oracle uses different execution plans to try to successfully execute the statement (so nice when an ORA-600 magically doesn't happen).
- Kafka Applications: Using OKafka, Kafka Apps run directly against the database with minimal code changes.
- Read-Only Per-PDB Standbys: Per-PDB Data Guard now supports read-only standbys. If you've never use Data Guard - you want it!
- Schema-Level Privileges & a new Developer Role: Instead of granting all those privileges to users, you can now just grant Schema-Level Privileges (i.e. GRANT SELECT ANY TABLE ON SCHEMA SCOTT TO RICH;). Added bonus: A new Developer Role that gives key privileges to the Developer Role so that you don't have to.
- Many Enhancements to Machine Learning: Algorithms that make it simpler to categorize text (using doc2vec with Explicit Semantic Analysis Algorithm). New link functions with the GLM (Generalized Linear Model) Algorithm; Outlier detection with EM (Expectation Maximization) Algorithm clustering; An automated Time Series Algorithm model that allows you to backcast/forecast and support one or more time series; In-Database SQL Firewall blocks unauthorized SQL & SQL Injection attacks; Enhanced AutoML makes Machine Learning easier & more efficient for non-expert users.
- When you Upgrade: You must be on 19c or 21c Only! Call Viscosity for help on your next upgrade as we do them all the time.
While 23c has over 300 new features, don't forget that 21c brought 200 features to light. While some of these may be back-ported to 19c, you certainly want to be aware of some of the best ones. There are also key features below from earlier versions that you should leverage in 19c/23c. You should upgrade to 19c soon if you're not there now; we can help! Consider leveraging these features from past versions if you aren't already using them:
- Key 12c Features to Leverage: Pluggable Databases and In-Memory Column Store
- Key 18c Features to Try: Snapshot Carousel, PDB Switchover, & In-Memory External Tables
- Key 19c Features to Try (current long-term version): PDBs, ADW/ATP, Automatic Indexes, Quarantine, Documentation Apps including Features & Licensing by Version and Images for Learning
Want to be part of the Beta Program for 23c?
Click the QR code here or https://blogs.oracle.com/database/post/oracle-database-23c-beta-program to be part of Oracles's 23c Beta Program. Viscosity is part of the Beta Program for 23c as we have for many versions of the database. There are many advantages to being part of the Beta including:
- Early access to new features to test them for your company
- Access to Oracle presentations well before non-beta participants
- Great information for that next book, paper, or presentation
- Truly be able to leverage new features & knowing where they fit into your system.
Two Nice to Know tips
- Extended Support for 19c has been waived until 2025 (see below); Always check Doc ID 742060.1
- Golden Gate Free Up to 20G! See: https//blogs.oracle.com/post/oracle-goldengate-free
- Larry Ellison Keynote at CloudWorld
- Oracle 23c; Oracle CloudWorld, Andrew Mendelsohn
- Oracle 23c; Oracle CloudWorld, Jenny Tsai-Smith & Dominic Giles
- Machine Learning presentations at CloudWorld by Mark Hornick
- Machine Learning presentations at CloudWorld by Philipe Lions
- Oracle12c Release 2 Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques; Richard J. Niemiec; Oracle Press
- viscosityna.com, www.oracle.com, & technet.oracle.com
All companies and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective owners.
Rich Niemiec ©2023. This document cannot be reproduced without expressed written consent from Rich Niemiec or Viscosity NA, but may be reproduced or copied for article, presentation and conference use.
Neither Viscosity nor the author guarantee this document to be error-free. Please provide comments/questions to email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org; I am always looking to improve!
Learn from the Aces of Viscosity and the others out there!
SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT